Send Us Your Photos!
Learn How to Choose the Best Images for Your Site
Having a great site is all about making the experience fun and informative for your readers, and high-quality photos are one of the best ways to do it. Images draw readers in, are easy to understand and are a great way to portray brand messaging. Photos really can be worth a thousand words, but it’s important to use the right ones.
We talked to designers, writers, analysts and account specialists throughout the building and came up with some tips on how you can help us help your site.
Send us your images! We love high-quality stock photos for their professionalism and branding potential. Professional photography is also wonderful and can be used in multiple campaigns, ranging from your website to outdoor or print advertising.
Even if all you have is a modern smartphone or good point-and-shoot camera, you can send us your shots. Take lots of photos – the more options you have to choose from, the better.
The Kinds of Photos We Need
- Your building inside and out
- Team members and owners for “about us” and “contact us” pages
- Tip: when taking individual photos of your team, use the same background and point of view. We prefer landscape shots, which are easy to crop.
- Your team in action, performing services or interacting with customers
- Before-and-after photos of your best work
- Finished projects you want to highlight
- Tip: Don’t heavily edit your own photos or use filters. We’ll work with raw images to make them ideal for your site
- Photos of your products
Tips for Selecting the Best Images
- Find images that match your color scheme and that evoke an emotion or tell a story.
- Choose photos with good lighting and that aren’t blurry.
- Any faces in the photos should be at least as big as your thumb.
- In most cases, candid shots are better than posed ones.
- It is best if the people in the photo aren’t looking directly at the camera.
- If you aren’t sure, send us multiple options and our expert designers can help.
Here are some examples of the great photos we’ve implemented for client sites:
Send us the biggest file sizes you have and any relevant details such as when and where the shot was taken, and we’ll handle optimization from there. We don’t recommend copying images from the web, as copyright concerns might arise. If you have a photo you found elsewhere for an occasional blog post or something similar, let us know the original source so we can give credit where it’s due.
If we’re building new pages or working on pages that don’t have images yet, we’ll ask you to send us relevant images. Meanwhile, we’ll make sure existing images are optimized for your site and make suggestions for improving them, if necessary.